AI and fake news with Renée DiResta
When controversial headlines flood Twitter and Facebook, these rage machines disseminate disinformation. AI plays a role in perpetuating fake news, but it could also be a part of the solution in detecting and preventing the malignant spread of fake stories. Renée DiResta is a researcher of computational propaganda and disinformation. On this episode, she talks through some recent news stories and how they serve as examples of the ways in which technology facilitates tribalism.
Data for Democracy
A worldwide community working together to find truth through data and technology
An information integrity company.
Covington Catholic news story
The story mentioned by Renée.
Renée's Senate report
Report on Russia’s disinformation in the 2016 election.
- When AI is misaligned
- The future of the reading brain: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 88
- Community and privacy: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 87
- Fundraising during a pandemic: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 86
- Designing mmhmm: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 85
- Introducing mmhmm: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 84
- Figma and the future of collaborative design: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 82
- The future of remote learning: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 81
- How a social distancing app came to be: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 80
- Coronavirus misinformation with Renée DiResta: All Turtles Podcast Ep. 79